Thursday, October 4, 2007

Three interesting books

I'm not completely sure what everyone here likes to read. I like fiction, but I have a hard time reading much of it lately. So here are some nonfiction ideas for the days you need a book to enjoy that you can put down (and still smile) when husband, children, or bedtime start calling.

My newest find is Letters of a Nation, edited by Andrew Carroll. It is a collection of all sorts of letters from all sorts of people from all sorts of time periods. I really like this peek into historical or mundane life. I also really like that it is the sort of book that doesn't beg to be read in one sitting.

Another book I've enjoyed recently is My Freshman Year: What a Professor Learned by Becoming a Student by Rebekah Nathan. The author is an anthropology professor who didn't understand her students. She enrolled in the school she teaches at for a year (during a sabbatical) and lived in the dorms as a 50 year old freshman. This book tells about her experiences and the culture she found. I like it.

And my last recommendation for the nonfiction section today is The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference by Malcolm Gladwell. The title tells the main idea, but the author uses fascinating examples to expound on it. I liked learning a little bit about a lot of things like Paul Revere, Blues' Clues, teen smoking, city crime, and more.

3 comments:

hannah said...

Thanks Rachel. I enjoy these types of books too, especially when I'm in school and need things I don't have to read in one sitting :)

Nanette said...

do you own any of these?

Rachel said...

I own Letters of a Nation.