Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Book review of Austenland


I finally finished the book and ended up liking it. At first, the main character, Jane, (known as Miss Erstwhile) isn't into the whole Austen thing, but then when she embraces it and has fun, it gets good. Here's my favorite part of the whole book (without giving away the end, of coarse)
"Indeed, " said Captain East. "I believe, Miss Erstwhile, that you promised me a song."
Jane was quite certain that she had never promised any such thing, but it seemed a fitting remark to make, and so Jane rose and made her graceful way to the piano.
"If you insist, Colonel Andrews, but I must beg you forgive me at the same time. And you too, Mr. Nobley, as I know you are particular to music played well and no doubt a harsh critic when a piece is ill executed."
"I believe," said Mr. Nobley, "that I have never been witness to a young lady about to play without her excusing her skill beforehand, only to perform perfectly thereafter. the excuse is no doubt as a prelude that sets up the song for deeper enjoyment."
"Then I pray I do not disappoint."
She smiled expressly at Captain East, who sat forward, forearms resting on knees, eager. With professional suavity, Jane arranged her skirt, spread out the music, poised her fingers, and then with one hand played the black keys, singing along with the notes, "Peter, Peter, pumpkin-eater, had a wife and couldn't keep her, put her in a pumpkin shell, and there he kept her very well."
She rose and curtsied to the room.

I thought that part was pretty fun!
You should read it for that scene alone, if nothing else.
Does anyone even read this blog besides me and Kristen anyway? Then why aren't you making yourselves known then, so we (I) don't feel like such a looser posting all the time?
thanks

3 comments:

Dimples :) said...

Heya Nanette,

I thought it was a fun book too. You just have to remember it isn't going to follow Austen by the book, but just dip into her world. And the Colin Firth obsession is amusing.

Nanette said...

Yea! a comment!

hannah said...

I totally read this blog... and I would even leave posts if anyone would give me the password (HINT, HINT). Hannah

Also, I am not sure why I am posting as "summer girl", must have typed that in somewhere, anyone know how to change it?