Friday, January 14, 2011

Good YA Fantasy

Star Crossed was written by the same lady who wrote A Curse Dark as Gold. I didn't read her earlier work, but I enjoyed Star Crossed more than I have enjoyed a YA Fantasy for a LONG time! There is magic in her world, but no unicorns or fairies - it's more like a magical tale set in dark-ages earth. Not too fantastical, for you non goblin story lovers.
The plot of Secondhand Charm made a turn around 1/3 of the way through the book that was interesting and fun to read and completely unexpected. Loved the book! This one seems to be set in a very earth-like world, with christianity and place names being the same. But there are some fantastical creatures and some magic.

3 comments:

vera said...

Both sound interesting. Will have to take a look. Saw Tamora Pierce on your SGA roster. I'll have to break my
twenty-four year Song of the Lioness ban--I read the first two books when I was 14--and read the last two books, although I'm wary. Darn it, there better be a good reason why she doesn't marry Jonathan. *sigh*

Kristen said...

yeah i remember rooting for that too. it's a good reason. :)

Jenny said...

Loved, loved, loved, Star-Crossed!
And so of course I went out right away and got A Curse as Dark as Gold and it was wonderful too. I can't wait for the sequel to Star-crossed. It's been a while since I couldn't put a book down, thanks!