Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein





Run, don't walk, to the library/bookstore for this one! Code Name Verity is an excellent book. A gem of historical fiction told from the point of view of two young women who become best friends serving in the British military during WWII.  There is some violence and torture, but it is mostly told in third person so it is not overly graphic.  Very intense though.  There are lots of twists and surprises you will never guess.  Character development is wonderful.  The first half of the book is written very differently from most books and can get a little tedious, but stick with it, there is a reason for everything, even the style of writing. Have some tissues- you'll need them.  I loved it, it has really stuck with me and I am still thinking about it.    Let me know what you think of it. I'd put this in my top 5 books for the whole year.
~Jenny

No comments: